UK wedding venue fined £25,000 after half reception guests get food poisoningStock photo, duck pate: Getty


A UK wedding venue has been ordered to pay £25,000 in fines after 46 people out 86 at a wedding reception fell ill with food poisoning.

More than half the diners fell ill after consuming the duck liver paté starter during an April wedding at Mendip Spring Golf Club in Congresbury, Somerset.

Victims complained of suffering with stomach cramps and diarrhoea for days, and one 79-year-old had to be hospitalised for treatment.

The owner of the venue, Yeo Finance Ltd, has been fined £25,000 and director Ian Harrison, 53, was ordered to pay £3,000 by magistrates at North Somerset Courthouse in Weston-super-Mare, according to the Daily Mail.

Mr Harrison pleaded guilty to three counts of contravening food hygiene regulations concerning staff training, failing to recognise food preparation hazards and failing to prove compliant with such hazards.

Yeo Finance Ltd also pleaded guilty to two counts of serving unsafe food.

The bride's mother contacted North Somerset Council's hygiene department nine days after the wedding.

The couple, who have not been named, issued a statement which was read out to the court.

According to This Is Somerset, it said: "We feel utterly humiliated that everyone had to be contacted.

"It was extremely embarrassing to hear how people have been ill.

"Our special day wasn't as special as we hoped, or Mendip Spring promised. Our guests and us will never forget this.

"Sadly no-one can change memories."

Related articles

Honeymooners and 49 guests struck by food poisoning after UK wedding

Luxury hotel wedding planner sends bride-to-be rude email by mistake