British holidaymakers who suffered sickness at 'filthy' hotel in Spain receive £205kNorth News


British
holidaymakers who suffered violent sickness after staying at a 'filthy' hotel in Spain have received £205,000 compensation between them.

Guests who stayed there back in 2007 and 2008 are still suffering with irritable bowel syndrome five years later.

They complained of bird droppings in the restaurant, 'filthy' water in the pool, and one guests even found a cockroach in his pasta dish at the four-star Beach Club in Torremolinos, on the Costa del Sol.

Susan Ray, 65, from Darlington, was one of the guests who received around £15,000. She told The Sun: "The hotel wasn't very clean. The holiday was a disaster and I won't ever go back."

Tour operator Thomson's parent company TUI UK Ltd agreed to the payout just days before a court battle would have ensued.

A spokesman said: "This hotel no longer features in our programme."

Gurpinder Chana, a specialist travel lawyer at Irwin Mitchell, told The Sun: "Unfortunately a large number of holidays were ruined by the severe gastric illness.

"This trauma has had a major effect on the lives of some of our clients, as they are still suffering with bowel conditions.

"The complaints we received suggested that that there were serious and unacceptable food hygiene issues at the hotel. We also received general complaints about the cleanliness of the hotel and the lack of support from staff.

"Our clients decided to take on the tour operators and because of their determination and commitment, justice has been done."

It hasn't been the perfect few days for Thomson, who were left red-faced this week after it was revealed a rogue staff member hacked into internal email accounts and sent a dissatisfied customer a series of foul-mouthed messages.

Related articles

Thomson worker sends foul-mouthed emails to holidaymaker who dared to complain

British couple kicked off Thomson flight after 'row about drugs'

Poo in the pool: Passengers sue over 'cruise from hell'