Humpback whale almost jumps into fishing boat
- Filed under:
The men, who were on a salmon and halibut fishing charter off the coast of Tofino, were enjoying watching the whales who were visible above the surface of the water.
Guide Matt Thornton of Tofino Fishing steered the boat closer, when one of the whales flew from the water, performed a spin and then flopped back in - just a few metres from the boat.
One passenger, who captured the experience on his iPhone, can be heard saying: "That was like, oh man! He about jumped our boat."
Mr Thornton, whose photograph of his close encounter has since been entered in a National Geographic photography contest, told Grind TV: "It was literally 10ft from the boat, so close that it splashed us."
Click on the image below to watch the video:
Click on the image below to see some more wonders of the sea...
Wonders of the sea
- Scalloped hammerhead sharks, Costa Rica
- Sunrise on the coast near Bamburgh Castle, Northumberland
- A three-masted schooner on the north west reef of Bora Bora, French Polynesia
- Storm battering seafront, Lyme Regis, UK
- Bryde's whale, Baja California, Mexico
- Lifeboat in a storm, Brittany, France
- Lighthouse in a storm
- Leafy seadragon, Australia
- Aerial view of Exuma, part of a chain of 365 islands, Bahamas