Schoolboy dies in 'extreme heat' on Moroccan charity trek
- Filed under:
A 17-year-old schoolboy died on a school trip to Morocco after passing out in the extreme heat, the Daily Mail reported.
Sam Boon was on the second day of a five-day trek with ten friends to help build a school for Moroccan children after he and his fellow pupils spent months raising £12,000.
After Sam, who attended the Business Academy in Bexley, Kent, collapsed, there were failed attempts to revive him and he was pronounced dead after being taken to a medical centre.
The results of a post-mortem examination have not been released yet but it is said that Sam may have suffered heat exhaustion after temperatures in Morocco reached 49C in the past week.
Sam's parents Karen and Kenneth have flown out to Morocco to bring his body home.
His uncle, Dave Boon said: 'He was a lovely child, and he never caused an ounce of a problem for anyone.
'He was just very intelligent and unfailingly polite. He was never in any sort of trouble, and worked hard at everything he put his mind to. He was so excited about the Morocco trip.'
The tragedy, which took place on Tuesday, cut short the school trip and the group flew back to England on Thursday.
An anonymous friend of Sam's said: 'Everyone is really shocked at school. Nobody really knows how it happened. He was a big guy, but he didn't seem unhealthy. It has just knocked everyone for six.'
World Challenge, which provided educational trips in the developing world, organised the expedition and has flown a team to Morocco to help the family.
The trip started with a five-day trek for pupils and students in the N'fis valley in the Amizmiz region, 55km south of Marrakech.
A spokesman said: 'He collapsed on the trek and they tried to resuscitate him. He was immediately transferred to a local medical centre where he was pronounced dead shortly afterwards.'
Sam was studying A-levels including physics and maths, and was to turn 18 in three weeks.
Sign up to our weekly newsletter | Follow us on Twitter | Become a fan on Facebook