British backpacker electrocuted in storm in Thailand
- Filed under:
A British backpacker has died after being electrocuted in a heavy storm in Thailand.
Charlie Thomas, 20, was killed instantly when he put his hand on a wet power socket that had become live due to heavy rain, according to the Mirror.
Mr Thomas, a student from Manchester, was taking shelter outside a department store in Phuket.
When the downpour was over, he touched the socket as he pushed himself to his feet after sitting down during the storm.
South Manchester deputy coroner Joanne Kearsley was told that heavy rain at the Ocean Bangla store on Patong beach had caused the socket to become live.
Charlie, who studied at Sheffield Hallam University, was travelling through Asia with pal Mio Nicholson, who also suffered an electric shock while trying to rescue his friend.
Returning a verdict of accidental death, Ms Kearsley told the Daily Mail: "Cases like this are just an absolute tragedy.
"Charlie was a young man, from a loving family, enjoying his summer break. There is nothing he could have seen or done to know what was going to occur, in just seconds."
The socket has since been removed, and electricians from the Patong Provincial Authority later said the heavy rainfall had caused the electrical current to start "leaking" from the socket.
Mr Thomas left behind parents Alison and Anthony, and siblings Elizabeth, 23, and Christopher, 16.
His father said: "He was a quiet man who was known for his kindness.
"He touched the lives of many people and will be missed by all his family and friends."
British teacher fighting for life after metal bar attack in Thailand
Panic as beach fireworks explode in Thailand holiday resort
Sign up to our weekly newsletter | Follow us on Twitter | Become a fan on Facebook