Teenager dies at campsite after sleeping in tent with barbeque
- Filed under:
A teenage girl has died after suffering suspected carbon monoxide poisoning during a camping holiday in Shropshire.
Three other family members are in a serious condition in hospital. It is believed that they all slept in a tent with a used disposable barbeque inside.
The family, who have not been named, were staying at the Baron at Bucknell campsite near Kidderminster this weekend.
A boy believed to be the girl's brother, aged around 11 years old, was airlifted to Royal Shrewsbury Hospital.
A man and a woman were also taken to the hospital by land ambulance.
A campsite spokesman told the Birmingham Mail that a female relative raised the alarm at around 9.45am on Saturday, after discovering them unconscious in their tent.
He confirmed that a spent disposable barbeque was also found in the tent.
Paramedics confirmed the teenage girl dead at the scene, having battled to bring her back to life.
A West Midlands Ambulance Service spokesman told the Birmingham Mail: "Crews arrived at the campsite to find CPR being carried out on a girl who was in cardiac arrest.
"Ambulance crews continued resuscitation efforts to restart the girl's heart. Sadly, despite their best efforts nothing could be done to save the girl and she was confirmed dead on scene.
"A boy was suffering suspected carbon monoxide poisoning. Crews and the doctor began oxygen therapy and, due to his serious condition, the boy was airlifted to hospital for emergency treatment."
West Mercia Police, along with Shropshire Fire and Rescue Service, are investigating the girl's death.
Detective Inspector Gavin Kinrade told the local news site: "We are treating the girl's death as unexplained, but at this stage there do not appear to be any suspicious circumstances."
Last year, a man died of suspected carbon monoxide poisoning at a campsite in the New Forest, Hampshire.
And in August, a family of five were rescued from their tent after falling unconscious in Cornwall.