Spring hasn't sprung yet: Cold snap biting back this weekend
- Filed under:
We may have enjoyed unseasonably warm weather in Britain over the last 10 days, but weather forecasters have warned the temperatures are set to fall this weekend.
Leon Brown, a meteorologist at The Weather Channel, told the Express that an "Arctic plunge" will hit the UK tomorrow night, bringing the possibility of snow in the North.
He told the paper: "Tuesday morning will probably be the coldest next week with -5C in places."
Although some parts of the country have enjoyed temperatures of 18C - around three times the average for this time of year - the mercury is likely to drop to -3C in the North on Sunday, and the South is unlikely to get above freezing, experiencing frosts overnight.
Bring back the 18C...
In pictures: Winter 2012
- Iced up: River Trent, Gunthorpe, Nottinghamshire
- Sunrise, East London
- Winter surfing, Longsands, Tynemouth
- Angel of the North, Newcastle
- Frosty field, East London
- Snowy ponies, Exmoor
- Tourist, Westminster, London
- Commuter, Netherley, Liverpool
- Sunrise, Upper Kennett Valley, Wiltshire
- Morning glory, Perthshire, Scotland
- Sunset, Avebury, Wiltshire
- River Trent, Nottingham
- Deer park, Studley Royal, near Ripon
- Brave swimmer, Hyde Park, London
- Frozen waterfall, Hadrow, Yorkshire
- Hidden dog, Essex
- 11 geese a-freezing, Johnstonebridge, Scotland
- Walker, River Trent, Nottingham
- Mob of deer, Wensleydale
- Cold lamb, Yorkshire
- Wobbly bridge, London
- Dog walkers, Nottingham